The HCG diet is a low-calorie diet that uses supplements of HCG, or human chorionic gonadotropin, a hormone produced by the body during pregnancy. The diet was developed by Dr Simeons and has been proven to be a successful weight loss method, especially for obese individuals.
The Dr Simeons HCG diet has been helping people lose weight for more than 40 years. There are hundreds of different HCG diet plans, but the Dr Simeons original HCG diet protocol involves a 23 day or 40 day program with strict rules.
During his research and testing, Dr Simeons’ patients never experienced the common symptoms associated with low-calorie diets. According to reviews of the diet, participants don’t experience weakness, headaches, hunger pains, or irritability as a result of the diet. HCG may suppress hunger or affect the hormones that control appetite.
The 23 Day Plan
The 23 day plan is usually best for people with less than 15 pounds to lose. The plan consists of three phases.
- Phase One: The first phase is the first two days of the diet. Individuals should consume excessive calories while supplementing HCG with drops or injections.
- Phase Two: The second phase lasts from the third day to the 23rd day. Individuals should consume 500 calories per day while continuing with daily HCG drops or injections.
- Phase Three: The third phase covers days 24 to 26. Individuals will continue with the 500 calorie plan but discontinue the HCG supplementation.
The 40 Day Plan
The 40 day plan is ideal for people who have more than 15 pounds to lose. However, no one should lose more than 34 pounds on the Dr Albert Simeons HCG diet plan. If you lose 34 pounds before the end of the plan, stop taking the HCG supplements.
- Phase One: Phase one occurs during the first two days. It involves heavy calorie consumption and HCG supplementation with drops or injections.
- Phase Two: From the third day to the 40th day, consume no more than 500 calories per day. Continue the use of HCG drops or injections.
- Phase Three: From days 41 to 43, continue with the 500 calorie diet, but discontinue the use of HCG.
HCG Diet Rules
The original HCG diet plan involves strict rules and guidelines. To achieve the best possible results, you should follow the rules as closely as possible. Each day, administer 125 IU of HCG. This could be with injections or drops, but injections tend to be more effective.
For three weeks after ending the diet, you can eat anything but starch and sugar. After three weeks, you can eat starches in small quantities. Check your weight frequently to make sure you’re maintaining your results. In his plan, Dr Simeons outlines the specific foods you’re allowed to eat for each meal.
Breakfast: For breakfast, you can drink tea or coffee without sugar. One tablespoon of milk is allowed per day. You can also add Stevia or Saccharin.
Lunch and Dinner: For lunch and dinner, you can choose one item from each of four categories:
- 100 grams of beef, chicken breast, veal, white fish, lobster, shrimp, or crab. The meat should have no visible fat, and it should be weighed raw.
- One serving of either spinach, tomatoes, celery, onions, cucumbers, cabbage, asparagus, chard, chicory, beet-greens, green salad, fennel, or red radishes.
- One Grissini breadstick or one piece of Melba toast.
- One apple, one orange, one-half grapefruit, or one handful of strawberries.
You can eat the fruit or breadstick between meals instead of with lunch or dinner, but you cannot eat more than the four items listed in one meal.
The diet doesn’t allow oil, butter, or dressings. However, most types of seasonings are allowed, including:
- Salt and pepper
- Mustard powder
You can also use the juice of one lemon per day, so you can create your own dressings from the allowed foods and seasonings.
Although the diet only includes certain foods, you can make a wide variety of recipes. Some popular Dr Simeons HCG diet recipes include:
- Meatballs: Combine 100 grams of ground steak with one Grissini breadstick ground into a powder. Add salt, pepper, garlic, parsley, basil, and oregano. Form the mixture into small meatballs and cook at 425 degrees for 10 minutes, turning the meatballs over halfway through.
- Grilled chicken: Mix together 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper, and 1 teaspoon of minced garlic. Coat 100 grams of chicken breast and grill for 10 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Steamed cabbage: Mix the juice of half a lemon with 1/2 teaspoon of mustard powder. Steam a serving of cabbage for 10 minutes and toss the lemon and mustard mixture over the cabbage. Add salt to taste.